Become your best self, the go-to nutrition expert, and workplace leader.
Spring '20 Application Deadline Mar. 20
BusinessMarketingThe WorldYour CommunityOperations Your Industry
Needs You to be a Master
Earn your Master of Science in Nutrition Business Leadership (MSNBL) degree online from a leading institution in evidence-based, holistic, and scientific approaches to natural medicine.
Become a Leader in Nutrition
— Guru Ramanathan, PhD
Finally, a prestigious HLC-accredited and top Master of Science in Nutrition degree for the business industry, created specifically to drive evidence-based nutrition expertise into the areas of industry where we need them.
Chief Innovation Officer & Senior Vice President General Nutrition Corp (GNC)
Esteemed Credentials & Industry Leadership
Be a vital resource and effective leader within the nutraceutical, natural foods, and supplement industries.
List Tuition &
Master of Science in Nutrition Business Leadership
Students in the MSNBL program gain the essential evidence-based, scientific and business knowledge and skills that add value to the companies they work for and advance their careers. The program is designed for bright, energetic, and ambitious professionals who seek to become leaders in the natural products industry.
SCNM developed the innovative and 100% online curriculum with input from global industry experts and thought leaders to equip graduates with current, realistic, and evidenced-based training. The program offers insights from both national and international perspectives, and with a focus on personal, environmental, and corporate sustainability.
Unlike any other program, the MSNBL trains students in the nutritional sciences, supply chain (including ingredient procurement, product manufacturing, regulations, sales, and marketing), and in leadership and management—all specific to the multi-billion-dollar natural foods and dietary supplement industry. Graduates will be uniquely trained to respond to the nutrition industry’s need for evidence-based knowledge leaders.
Upon completion of this program, graduates will be able to:
- Utilize knowledge of nutritional sciences to describe the relationship between nutrients, human health, and disease.
- Apply functional business knowledge of the global natural product industry to support effective business outcomes and professional success.
- Demonstrate effective leadership and communication skills to cultivate collaboration and effective outcomes in business .
- Implement personal, environmental, and corporate sustainability strategies to prevent burn out, cultivate a responsible and purpose driven organization, and to improve organizational performance.
- Demonstrate ethics and professionalism in business management, leadership, decision-making, and in interactions with clients and professionals.
- Utilize skills for scholarship and lifelong learning to remain current in the natural food and products industry.
Additional Certifications and Specialized Training
This degree program prepares you for the following:
- Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP)Training in established standards within manufacturing and packaging, labeling or holding operations for dietary supplements.
- Preventive Controls Qualified Individual (PCQI)Learn about PCQI requirements for food and dietary supplement companies.
- ServSafe Food Protection ManagerThis training is for those working in a leadership role in commercial food production.
Master in Nutrition Business Leadership Course List
Classes are designed to meet the needs of working professionals and may be completed at your own pace. The MSNBL degree is designed for a typical completion rate of 15 months. View the Degree Brochure for more course details..
Note: This program does not have Lab or Clinical requirements.
|NUTM||5105||Clinical Biochemistry 1: Bacronutrients, Human Metabolism, and Energy||1-6||2||24|
|NUTM||5107||Clinical Biochemistry 2: Vitamins and Minerals||7-12||2||24|
|NUTM||5109||Botanicals and Phytonutrients||7-12||2||24|
|NUTM||5111||Self-Care: Role-Modeling Health Behaviors||1-6||1||12|
|NUTM||5105||Dietary and Supplement Guidelines, Policies, and Safety||1-6||2||24|
|NUTM||5107||The Food and Supplement Industry: Policies and Regulations||7-12||2||24|
|NUTM||5109||Dietary Patterns for Health Promotion||7-12||2||24|
|NUTM||5111||Evidence Informed Practice and Decision Making||1-6||1||12|
|NUTM||5308||Communication for Management 1: Public Speaking and Writing||1-6||2||24|
|NUTM||5310||Communication for management 2: Persuasion, Negotiation, and Influence||7-12||2||24|
|NUTM||5320||Strategic Sales and Marketing||1-12||4||48|
|NUTM||5105||Corporate Finance and Budgeting||1-6||2||24|
|NUTM||5107||Innovation: New Product Development and Manufacturing||1-6||2||24|
|NUTM||5109||Sustainability and Corporate Social Responsibility||7-12||2||24|
|NUTM||5111||Supply Chain Management||7-12||1||12|
For those enrolling during 2020, tuition for the Master of Science in Nutrition Business Leadership program is $36,100. SCNM is on a four-quarter calendar system, each quarter is 12 weeks. The estimated cost of attendance is an average expense during the academic year, based on a per credit rate of $950. Note: there is a tech fee of $250 per quarter. Books and materials are to be purchased separately.
SCNM is a small, private, not-for-profit natural sciences university that develops natural science skills far beyond other colleges, but it’s also affordable, more so than most private colleges or out-of-state tuition at state schools. But more importantly—you can graduate much sooner, in as little as 15 months with the MSNBL degree.
At SCNM, students learn more efficiently in smaller student-to-teacher ratios, with professors who know each student’s strengths and nurture their development. Your investment in an education at SCNM is an investment in a lifetime of education.
Our curriculum was built by educators and industry professions with a focus on personalized education and a collaborative communication experience.
Our advisory council includes industry executives who are passionate about nutrition and are an integral part in the development of the MSNBL curriculum.
Meet the Dean
Over the past 20 years, Dr. Kadar has distinguished herself as a clinician, educator, bridge-builder, and innovator of evidence-based nutrition curricula. She is a champion of integrative medicine who unites healthcare providers to deliver interprofessional health and wellness with a focus on patient-centered practices.
Take the First Step—For Your Best Tomorrow
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you know the difference between an MBA and an MSNBL?
As you decide to advance your career in the natural products industry, getting the right degree is key. While there are similarities between a Master of Business Administration and Master of Science in Nutrition Business Leadership, understanding the differences will allow you to better match your education to your professional interests, goals, and objectives within the natural products industry.Read More
Students who graduate with a master’s degree in nutrition work in a variety of settings. A bachelor's degree in nutrition is the minimum requirement to become a registered dietitian until 2024. A master's degree in nutrition is required for the certified nutrition specialist (CNS) designation. SCNM’s clinical nutrition degree leads to the CNS certification. Moreover, a master's can open up career opportunities in business, public health, education, medicine, and public policy, among other industries. Online master's degrees in nutrition can also provide students who already hold a bachelor's degree in nutrition with a more advanced understanding of the discipline.
Students who earn an online master's in nutrition from SCNM have multiple career options.
Clinician: work in your own private practice, establish a telemedicine practice, or work as part of an integrative practice or health center with NDs, MDs, DCs, DOs, and other practitioners.
Food and Nutrition Management: work in hospitals, schools, businesses, and long-term care consulting on healthy food choices for their menus.
Public Health Nutrition: work with the Public Health Department, Women, Infants and Children, or Cooperative Extension.
Education and Research: work in academia or in community education, develop educational training programs.
Business and Industry: work in the food and dietary supplement industry in sales, as a consultant assisting in product design and formulations, develop educational training programs.
Media: work with trade associations, radio, print, blog, TV, or web-based media.
International Food Organizations: work around the world with organizations such as US Agency for International Deployment, Peace Corps, United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization, World Relief, or Food for the Hungry.
Public Policy/Government: work with government agencies such as FDA, USDA, and NIH, work with healthcare reform, regulatory, or supplement labels.
Earn Your Degree Online
SCNM utilizes online learning tools that take an innovative approach to personalizing the learning experience for each student. Innovations include adaptive learning tools, a virtual classroom, and personalized communication.
We integrate cutting edge and evidence-based instructional science and technology to optimize learning in our virtual classrooms. Our Master of Science courses include features such as:
- Proven engagement strategies and instructional best practices using DeXL’s evidence-based Experience Engineering (learning design) process.
- Optimal learning paths for each individual student that adapt in real-time to cater to your learning needs.
- Recognition of the progress and performance of each individual student along program pathways.
- Opportunities to interact with and belong to a community with your classmates.
- Virtual face-to-face meetings with our expert faculty.
Master Program Admissions
SCNM spends time carefully evaluating each application to select students who can be successful in the program and contribute to the learning experience. Candidates are considered holistically with consideration given to factors beyond scores, GPAs, and other numerical performance indicators. Those factors may include, but are not limited to: extracurricular activities, unique work or service experience, demonstrated compassion or leadership potential, a history of overcoming hardship or disadvantage, maturity, exceptional talents or skills, trends or improvement in academic performance, success in a challenging undergraduate environment, and graduate school performance.
Applications are evaluated on a rolling admissions basis, ensuring that each candidate receives a prompt response to their application. Once all documents are received, the application is considered, and a decision is made.
Applicants are required to meet and adhere to the Institutional Admission Policies and Requirements (see the Institutional Admissions Policies) as well as the Admission Policies and Requirements for their specific program. This section contains admission policies and requirements specific to the MS programs.
Prospective students who wish to enter a master’s program must complete and submit the following requirements prior to matriculation.
- 4-year Baccalaureate degree or equivalent (contact admissions department for requirements). Total postsecondary coursework must be completed at an accredited or candidate college or university. Within the U.S., accreditation must be recognized by the U.S. Department of Education.
- Submission of application. The admissions application requires submission of:
- Completed application
- Payment of application fee
- Letter of intent / personal statement
- Resume or curriculum vitae
- Official transcripts from institution where highest degree was earned, Veterans must also submit military training transcripts. Additional transcripts may be requested on a case-by-case basis
- International Applicants must submit foreign transcripts from the institution that conferred the student’s highest degree earned. This transcript must be evaluated (course by course evaluation) by a member organization of either the National Council on the Evaluation of Foreign Education Credentials (NACES) or the Association of International Credential Evaluators (AICE). Fees for this service are the responsibility of the applicant.
- A cumulative grade point average (GPA) of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale is preferred. However, SCNM uses a holistic admissions process for the MSCN and MSNBL programs, and all applicants with a GPA below 2.75 are encouraged to apply to be considered on a case-by-case basis
- Optional letters of recommendation may be submitted to strengthen an application
- Applicants should have working knowledge of computers, word processing, and the internet
- Following receipt of all required materials and fees (see Application for Admission), the Admissions Office will review the application and render an admission decision. An interview (by video conference) may be required at the discretion of the program director or dean.
Southwest College of Naturopathic Medicine and Health Sciences (SCNM) is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission (HLC). SCNM is approved for distance education courses and programs, approved to offer the Master of Science in Clinical Nutrition, and approved to offer the Master of Science in Nutrition Business Leadership by the HLC.
SCNM’s MS in Clinical Nutrition program has been fully vetted by the Board for Certification of Nutrition Specialists, and the program has been deemed eligible to provide a pathway to the CNS credential. SCNM’s MS in Clinical Nutrition program fulfills the current academic requirements for the CNS. BCNS requires a graduate degree in the field of nutrition from a regionally accredited university, specific coursework, and 1,000 hours of supervised experience. BCNS reviews each candidate individually, including current course descriptions, transcripts, and experience to determine eligibility. To learn more about becoming a CNS, visit www.nutritionspecialists.org.
Why Choose the MSNBL at SCNM?
SCNM is a school of medicine and health sciences grounded in evidence-based naturopathic principles. Dedicated to the ideal that everyone deserves high-quality, integrated healthcare, we engage students in rigorous, innovative academic programs, discover and expand knowledge, and empower individuals and communities to achieve optimal health. Our vision is a world that embraces the healing power of nature and integrated healthcare.
Our online Master of Science in Nutrition Business Leadership focuses on doing just that—harnessing the healing power of nature and applying it to business practices in a thoughtful, evidence-based manner.
The program offers insights from both national and international perspectives, and with a focus on personal, environmental, and corporate sustainability. Graduates will be uniquely trained to help meet the triple bottom line: social, environmental, and profit.